Solari's Special Walnut Pesto Sauce Recipe
This pesto sauce recipe, cherished since my childhood and a specialty of the now-closed Flo's Restaurant in Linden, California, continues to be a family favorite. Made with the freshest of ingredients, it brings back memories of Florance (Flo) Solari's iconic pesto spaghetti at Flo's. My mom still prepares it, and it has become a favorite for my boys when visiting their grandmother.
What makes this recipe truly stand out are the walnuts from Chinchiolo Farming. Harvested during the peak season from late September to late October, these walnuts are renowned for their crisp, full flavor, and delicate sweetness. Customers rave about their freshness and tastiness, making them a perfect choice for this pesto sauce.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed and drained
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 small cloves garlic
- 4 walnut halves (preferably Chinchiolo Farming's fresh walnuts)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup parsley
- Blend all ingredients until the mixture becomes a puree.
- The sauce yields 1 to 1.5 cups.
- For serving, cook ½ pound of spaghetti or other pasta and add 4 tablespoons of sauce.
- Sprinkle with Pecorino, Romano, or Parmesan cheese to taste.
This pesto sauce isn't just for pasta; it's a delicious addition to cooked vegetables, elevating their flavor with the distinctive taste of Chinchiolo's fresh walnuts.