- 5 cups sweet or sour cherries pitted (about 4 3/4 pounds); fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick) melted
- Vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 375 F. In a large bowl, gently mix together cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla, and almond extract. Pour evenly into a greased baking dish.
In a medium bowl, mix together oats, all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Pour in melted butter, then stir until mixture is combined.
Sprinkle topping evenly over the cherries. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbly and topping is golden. Cool for 10 minutes and serve.