- 1&1/4 cup (145g) honey graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tbsp (45g) melted butter
- 2–250g pkg cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups (750ml) sour cream (full-fat or light, not fat-free)
- 2 tsp (10ml) vanilla extract
- 5 cups (1&1/2 lbs) frozen pitted cherries
- 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 (60ml) cup water
- 1 tbsp (15ml) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5mL) almond extract
Preheat oven to 325 F and grease sides of a 9″ inch pan. Mix cracker crumbs and melted butter together and press firmly into bottom of pan. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside to cool. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar together until well combined. Then add eggs singularly, and mix gently. Blend in sour cream and vanilla and pour the batter over the crust. Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the edges are set. Let cool in the oven for an hour with oven door ajar. Then cool to room temperature before refrigerating for a minimum of 4 hours. Preferably overnight.
In a medium saucepan, heat the cherries, sugar and 3 tbsp of the water. Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1 tbsp of water. Stir in the cornstarch and almond extract and continue to cook until sauce thickens. Let cool completely. Spoon over cheesecake before serving.